Accidents can happen any time, anywhere, especially in the workplace. To be prepared for the unexpected, you need a first aid kit. First aid kits are essential to provide immediate treatment for injuries and ailments that can happen in your place of work. From minor ailments to more serious injury, a first aid kit can help reduce the risk of complications or severity of the injury.
But it’s not enough to stock your workplace with burn kits, first aid kits, and medical supplies bags. What good are they if no one knows how to use them properly, right? This is why first aid and CPR training in the workplace should always go hand in hand with providing first aid kits for your organization. It is mandatory for any Canadian organization to train all employees on proper first aid and CPR administration.
Before training, you need to first assess your workplace situation, including the history of work injuries, fatalities, and illnesses. The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) provides a guideline and a check list on how to do a proper assessment in your workplace. This will help you determine what kind of first aid and CPR training you should take.
Still not convinced? Well here are seven reasons why you should kickoff your first aid training now:
- Compliance. It’s the law! The Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requires you, as employer, to certify all your employees in first aid and CPR. Keep in mind that workplace safety regulations and standards for first aid vary by province or territory. You can refer to this guide from the Labour Program of Canada for more details.
- Safety awareness. An employee that has undergone training becomes more “safety aware.” This results in an increase in preventative measures, with your workers becoming more alert to possible accidents and injuries. With this, the number of accidents in your workplace also decreases.
- Fast, effective treatment. A first aid responder can reach the patient quickly and provide immediate care while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. This results in a greater chance of survival especially in cases of serious injuries or sickness.
- Confidence to act in an emergency. First aid training imparts knowledge and skill to your workers so they can confidently act in an emergency when the time comes. They know what’s in their first aid kits, how to use the supplies and equipment, and the proper ways to react in an emergency.
- Boost employee morale. Workers with high morale lead to positive attitudes, which lead to positive results. First aid training will help ensure the health and safety of your employees and make them feel that the company cares about their well-being.
- Corporate social responsibility. Investing in training is also an investment in our society. First aid and CPR training is more than just being compliant and avoiding fines. Providing your workers with skills and knowledge that can save a life will not only be useful for workplace emergencies, but for any emergency situation anywhere.
- It saves lives. You don’t have to be a superhero to be able to save someone from harm. Proper first aid and CPR training can equip you with the means to make a difference in someone else’s life, especially if that life is in grave danger.
Having first aid kits and first aid training in your workplace is always a good plan. But as with any plan, it needs to be implemented well to be effective. You as employers, managers, and supervisors must know your first aid arrangements very well, and must understand the responsibilities under your first aid plan. Do this and you will be prepared for any medical emergency that may come your way.
Connect with Maria Marnelli G. Medina on Google+