How to Deal with Mold in Your Facility

Mold

An important part of facility management that can frequently be overlooked is the issue of mold. Molds are microscopic organisms found everywhere in the environment — both indoors and outdoors. Mold tends to grow in damp, dark locations and, when present in large quantities, has the potential to cause adverse health effects, such as sneezing, cough and congestion, runny nose, aggravation of asthma, eye irritation and dermatitis (skin rash).

To prevent mold growth in a water-saturated environment, the following steps should be followed:

• Remove excess moisture with a wet-dry vacuum and dry out the building as quickly as possible

• Use fans to assist in the drying process

• Clean wet materials and surfaces with detergent and water

• Discard all water-damaged materials

• Discard all porous materials that have been wet for more than 48 hours

To clean up an existing mold issue, follow these general mold cleanup tips:

• Identify and correct the moisture problem

• Make sure the working area is well ventilated

• Discard mold damaged materials in plastic bags

• Clean wet items and surfaces with detergent and water

• Disinfect cleaned surfaces with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of household bleach in 1 gallon of water. Caution: Do not mix bleach with other cleaning products that contain ammonia

• Use respiratory protection (an N-95 respirator is recommended)

• Use hand and eye protection

Speak Your Mind

*